Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Jazzy Times

The entertainment high point of my trip to NYC was a jazz show at the famed Village Vanguard by Argentinian pianist Guillermo Klein and his 11-piece band, Los Guachos. The show was fantastic, not least for my being in the house's best seat: literally an arm's length from the alto saxophonist, Miguel Zenon. How close was I? So close that when he stood for a solo, I had to move back to give him space. It was loud enough that my hearing aids hummed for seconds after each song.

After the incredible music itself, the coolest thing about the show was that it was written up the next day in the Times. The photo shows Klein in the background; the tip of my nose is at the very edge of the frame, just beyond the bell of the Bill McHenry's saxophone. I've never before been cropped out of a photo in the New York Times!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, that is fantastic!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home