Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brand Extensions

Violating a cardinal rule of modern consumer life, I went to the grocery store while hungry this afternoon. The first thing I noticed, on a big, prominent end cap, was a small metal package labeled "Saltines." I thought, 'Saltines in a can? Weird! Why?' and looked more closely at the label, which turned out to read, "Saltines in oil."

'Even weirder, and that sounds delicious,' I thought. Just before I reached for a couple cans, I reread the label and saw what it really said: "Sardines in oil."

5 Comments:

Blogger Grandpa Jim said...

Ummm..good... sardines in oil...a truckers staple!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Brother. Somethings you just shouldn't admit.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

I want to know who's putting sardines in an end-cap. What a waste of retail real estate...

6:34 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

OK, but is no one else disturbed that you thought *Saltines* in Oil would be GOOD? That's just wrong!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Ah, that would have been great. Crackers without the crunch...just a refreshing squish.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home